Wednesday, September 26, 2012

methichi (peeth perleli) bhaji

Fenugreek and chickpea flour dish eaten as a side with chapati

My favorite! I can eat this everyday if I had to!! One of the few sabjis I don't mind although on the sweeter side :P

As I write this, I realize, I have to organize my blog now! modak followed by pav bhaji, mawa cake and methichi bhaji in that order, just does not fit under the title of a perfectionist's cookbook! :P

So give a little time, and Ill (learn how to) sort that out :)

for the recipe:

You will need:
One bunch methi (fenugreek leaves), cleaned and sorted. Wash and strain and chop1 small onion chopped2 small green chillies slit length-wise3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed (I use a stone pestle)5-6 tablespoons Chickpea flour (besan)  SugarSaltA pinch of red chilli powder2 tablespoons+ OilMustard seedsTurmericAsafetida





Heat oil in a Pan. Add and crackle the mustard seeds followed by turmeric and asafetida and crushed garlic and green chillies. Add onions and cover for a few minutes until onions are just cooked.Add methi leaves (at this point the oil would seem too much, but it gets dry and nice after addition of the chickpea flour so don't worry). Cook for a bit (methi does not take time to cook at all. 


Add sugar and salt, mix and start adding the chickpea flour a tablespoon at a time and stirring in between till you get a homogenous, dryish-moist, not sticky chunk of sabji. Add a pinch of red chilli powder if you are not happy with the color (I did :P)

Serve hot with chapati or fulka roti.





*Note* if eating with Bhakri, omit the sugar and make it spicier, may add kanda-Lasun masala for extra rustic flavor.

1 comment: