Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mawa Cake


Mawa cake! A traditional, flavorful, dense yet soft and moist cake, popular in local bakeries in India, especially Irani tea shops bakeries. I never ate that while in India (Its one of the things you hate in India and suddenly start craving once you 'know' you cant get out of your house walk to the closest bakery and enjoy, after coming to the US). Also, I am a big fan of tea parties. And I have this whole Indian tea party menu that I keep planning (one of the many parties I plan in my head) -Masala chai, Filter coffee, veg puffs, green chutney sandwiches, naankatai, mawa cake! aha! So I thought its worth to share something that's so integral to my-party-planning-fantasy!

(I had published it on another of my blogs, but decided to move it here, sine I have decided to stick to this one blog for now :P ) 

Mawa Cake:

Note:  additionally include 1/4 cup of whole milk (not shown in the picture)

In case you want to use spices mix 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg and cardamom. Or you could use a flavor (essence - rose, almond, ice-cream or good ol' vanilla).
You could use equal amount of mawa/ khoa powder with a spoon or two extra milk instead of the fresh khoa.

Procedure:

1. Spray a baking tin (i used 8' square foil tin) with cooking spray and dust with flour.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C
3. Mix/sieve the flour and the baking powder thoroughly
4. take a large bowl and beat sugar and butter together
5. add the eggs and the flavor/spices and beat more
6. add the khoa/mawa (grated) and beat on low speed
7. fold in the flour and beat on medium speed, until well-mixed, add milk as needed
8. Pop in the oven for 30 min!


here are a few pictures taken at different steps!

this should yield a soft, dense, flaky yummy cake! You can even make cupcakes (they taste just like indian mawa cake cup cakes) just reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes.


Hope you have a great time baking this one!
Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment