Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Meredith's Banana bread

Who would have thought that a dish made with mashed over-ripe bananas tastes this delicious???!!

I have never in my life eaten bananas! I would not eat it even when I was a baby, tells my mom!! Just thinking about blackened mushy bananas made me sick!! However, my manager Meredith Bishop at ConAgra foods Inc; got me addicted to this delicious bread :P 



Although I am writing it in 'A Perfectionist's cookbook' I have realized, I am not perfect at it :( I think it lacks Meredith's personal touch. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever known. She surprised me with loaves of banana bread every once in a while and it simply made my day. She shared the recipe with me and also gifted me the book she referred to for this recipe! She is the best!



Its been over a month that I stopped working at ConAgra, and I missed it so much, couldn't wait! I am crazy about this bread. Its sweet, its made with bananas, and yet its my favorite ;) This ones for you Meredith :)

This is a slightly healthy twist (also, if you replace the egg with alternatives, its a vegan recipe!)

You will need:



A greased bread loaf tin
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup atta (or regular whole wheat flour)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (over-ripened **not photogenic :P)
1/4 heaped tsp ginger (finely grated)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


My cousin helped me :)

Bake oven to 350
sift/mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda
In a large bowl, blend together the bananas and oil, followed by egg and sugar. Beat until fluffy.
Mix in the ground ginger and lemon rind
blend in the dry mixture
stir in the walnuts
pour batter in greased bread tin and bake for about 50-55 minutes

serve warm, stays good for a couple of days at room temp. freeze-thaws well!

*Note: You can add 1/4 tsp cinnamon if you like.
             I did not have a loaf tin, so I used a 9" square tin (that way     
             I get more surface area for the crust- I reduced baking time
             to 45 min (adjust baking time according to the shape and 
             size of you tin))



yields one loaf of yummy, golden, moist.......well, just the 'perfect' Banana bread ever!



1 comment:

  1. Neha..two more banana recipes for you: Kelyache phadphade and shikran!! :P

    ReplyDelete